I am pleased to announce that a new Google Reader client for the iPhone and iPod Touch has been submitted to the App Store for review! You ask, do we really need another one? well, if you’ve tried any of them, then you probably already know the answer!
ezFeeds has been in development for about five months, and was born to provide a fully featured Google Reader (news reader) client, opposed to a partial, slow, or read-only variation.
Some of the key goals that were taken into consideration when building ezFeeds:
- Must be FAST, even when you have subscribed to tons of feeds
- Reading must be EASY, which is why there is a ‘Next Unread’ button. This allows you to read in the same order of your feeds. Want to read all items chronologically? Just tap on the Unread folder – it’ll show arrows in the bottom toolbar instead of the Next Unread button.
- Provide FULL synchronization of feeds, folders, and their order (e.g. drag and drop feed order in google reader will sync to ezFeeds and vise-versa)
- Allow users to DISCOVER feeds on the device, with global and user feeds on popular feed sources such as Google Blog Search, Google News, Twitter, eBay, Myspace, Flickr, Youtube, Blogger, del.icio.us, WordPress.com, and even specify a custom URL.
Here’s what it looks like:
Adding a feed:
Click here for a list of features, details, and more screenshots.
There are a few things that didn’t make it into the first release, since they are not needed for a great reading experience, but are coming:
- Shared & Notes (do people really use these anyway?)
- Posting to Facebook, Read It Later, and Instapaper
- Optionally Cache Images for full offline reading
- Remember last position
- Possible iPad / OS X Version
- More yummy tidbits that I’ll share if you’re nice!
I’m not too sure how long it’ll take to be available on the App Store, but I will let everyone know when it is!