20 questions

Home Forums PabloDraw General 20 questions

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Will 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Will

Okay…. 20 questions and no answers so far. I don’t know if these are bugs or just me not understanding the limitations of this app.

I have known ANSI escape sequences and I load a test file that contains them. This is what I find and it leaves me puzzled, thus the 20 questions.

There is no Normal color… ALL is apparently Bold text.

ANSI ESCAPE sequences: (I’ll use ESC for the escape character and place spaces for readability only. They are not part of the definition for the escape sequences. the escape sequence ends with m, and other than ESC and the spaces, the rest is the literal ASCII character used in the escape sequence.)

ESC [ 1 m bold On
    ESC [ 21 m bold off
    These should work fine in .NET, C++, C#, and even in VB, but do not. We’re stuck in perpetual Bold Mode with no other options. A Bold or normal Font isn’t needed to implement this

ESC [ 2 m Dim or “feint” On
    ESC [ 22 m Dim or “feint” off
    These I don’t expect to work except maybe if it was a VT100 terminal receiving them. Not surprised it doesn’t work.

ESC [ 3 m Italics On
    ESC [ 23 m Italics off
    These I don’t expect to work except maybe if it was a VT100 terminal receiving them. Not surprised it doesn’t work. Only way to really do it is to mess with the fonts.

ESC [ 4 m Underscore/underline On
    ESC [ 24 m Underscore/underline off
    These I don’t expect to work except maybe if it was a VT100 terminal receiving them or a hardware screen and not a window. Only way to really do it is to mess with the fonts.

ESC [ 5 m blink On
    ESC [ 25 m blink off
    This works…. It takes a trick usually in writing the code to do it as a window normally doesn’t support it

ESC [ 6 m fast blink On
    ESC [ 26 m fast blink off
    This doesn’t work, but I don’t expect it to as its rarely implemented, and it’s only a faster blink rate than normal blink rate. Not surprised it doesn’t work.

ESC [ 7 m Reverse/Inverse Text On
    ESC [ 27 m Reverse/Inverse Test off
    There is no reason this shouldn’t work. It just flips the background and foreground colors until turned off.

ESC [ 8 m Hidden Text On
    ESC [ 28 m Hidden Text off
    This is another one that is easily implemented. Just turn the foreground color into the background color until turned off.

ESC [ 9 m Strikeout/strikethrough On
    ESC [ 29 m Strikeout/strikethrough off
    A window doesn’t support this without messing with the fonts… most hardware doesn’t either. Not surprised it doesn’t work.

it doesn’t support extended ANSI color codes… not even for the base color. (The extended codes basically give a single color code that also states that it is a bold color and not a normal color… for background and foreground…. allowing 16 colors in both)

Now, is this app just for ANSI art? (if so it limits the palette unless I’m missing something) or is it supposed to be more generic and allow people to create (telnet) BBS screens?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: 20 questions
Your information: